Light and Shadows: The Shadows (Jude 1:5-23)
- Josh Reich
- Dec 17, 2011
- Series: LIght & Shadows
As we head into the Christmas season at Revolution Church, we will be spending 3 weeks going through the book of Jude. Because we are celebrating the birth of Christ, Jude is a great book to look at. The reason is that Jude calls followers of Jesus to contend for the faith, to persevere and live differently because of what Jesus did.
One of the main themes of Jude, a book that takes up one page in the Bible, is that it is easy for our culture and sin to pervert our belief. This is seen most clearly in the month of December, as we near Christmas. Followers of Jesus say Scripture calls us to be generous, to be humble, to live a pure lifestyle (which is true), but we don't always see that. We see followers of Jesus being stingy, greedy, spending thousands of dollars at Christmas.
What Jude shows us is how we live shows if the gospel has changed us, if we've been truly saved.
- The afterlife is cloaked in mystery, yet Jude (and the rest of Scripture) is very clear on what it is like and how our destination is chosen.
- For more background and explanation of this week's passage check out the supplement to the study guide here.
- Bring someone next week for our Christmas Eve services
- "Erasing Hell: What God Said about Eternity and the Things We Made Up" by Francis Chan
- "Is Hell for Real or Does Everyone Go to Heaven?" by Al Mohler, J.I. Packer & others
- "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn
- "To Hell with Hell?" by Mark Driscoll